[FrenchFilmNews] erratum: SFFF Day 9 - Saturday, June 26: @ Noon PDT, Release of ALL HANDS ON DECK, an endearing summer road trip comedy + @ Noon Transatlantic Zoom Discussion with RED SOIL Director Farid Bentoumi + @ 3:00pm Screening at the Crest Theatre: THEY WERE FIVE (LA BELLE EQUIPE) + 2 other films still available to rent!

Cécile Downs littlececile at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 11:39:10 PDT 2021

OOPS, Sorry, Day 9  of the 20th Sacrametno French Film Festival is today,
SATURDAY, JUNE 26 (and not Sunday!)

[image: SFFF 20]

Virtual.SacramentoFrenchFilmFestival.org
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/>

LE JOURNAL DU
20th SACRAMENTO FRENCH FILM FESTIVAL
DAY 9 *•* SATURDAY, JUNE 26

[image: A l'Abordage]
*ALL HANDS ON DECK
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/all-hands-on-deck/>* by
Guillaume Brac

WHAT'S UP TODAY AT THE 20th SFFF?

Today is a full day at the 20th Sacramento French Film Festival with
several rendez-vous not to be missed, online & in-person!

• Let's meet @ Noon PDT for a Transatlantic Zoom Discussion of *RED SOIL*
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/red-soil/> with
director Farid Bentoumi.
*Join Zoom Discussion: https://csus.zoom.us/j/89746997652
<https://csus.zoom.us/j/89746997652> <https://csus.zoom.us/j/89746997652>*

• At Noon PDT, we release of the penultimate film on our Streaming
Platform: *ALL HANDS ON DECK
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/all-hands-on-deck/>* by
Guillaume Brac.
An unlikely trio of twentysomething men bond during a foolhardy romantic
trip to the French countryside in this endearing summer comedy.

*Available for rental: Saturday, June 26, 2021 @ Noon PDT → Tuesday, June
29 @ Noon PDTRENT & WATCH ALL HANDS ON DECK HERE
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/all-hands-on-deck/>.*

• At 3:00pm we will welcome you at the Crest Theatre for our third and
final in-theatre screening: *THEY WERE FIVE (LA BELLE EQUIPE)*
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/movie2021_belle-equipe.htm>, a
beloved 1936 classic with two endings, will be followed by an in-theatre
discussion with film historian Chuck Zigman and a glass of champagne!
*Please note: Advance Online Sales will close at Noon. Tickets will be
available at the door. The Box Office will open at 2:30pm.*

*• *The gripping ecological thriller *RED SOIL*
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/red-soil/>, and
the captivating
family drama from Tunisia* A SON
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/a-son/>* are still
available to rent & watch on our Streaming Platform.

NEW RELEASE TODAY
*•* ON OUR STREAMING PLATFORM *•*
Saturday, June 26 @ Noon PDT

[image: a l'abordage]
→ Watch Trailer
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/all-hands-on-deck/?autoplay>
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/a-son/?autoplay>

*ALL HANDS ON DECK
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/all-hands-on-deck/>* by
Guillaume Brac is our “Coup de Coeur” this year!

On a hot summer night in Paris, Félix (Éric Nantchouang) meets Alma (Asma
Messaoudene). They dance and talk all night and seem to have a real
connection, but the next morning, Alma must rush off to catch a train to
join her family on vacation.

The impulsive Félix, who thinks he is in love, decides to surprise Alma
with a visit, and he enlists his best friend Chérif in this romantic
adventure. Both young men are working their way through school (Félix is a
caregiver for the elderly, Chérif works in a supermarket) and are not used
to going on holiday. Nevertheless, they borrow camping equipment and,
accompanied by an uptight and reluctant (he was expecting two female
passengers) rideshare driver Édouard (Édouard Sulpice), they drive down to
meet Alma.

But things don’t go as planned for the unlikely trio. Edouard’s car
(technically his mother’s…) breaks down upon arrival. Then Alma doesn’t
seem so thrilled with Félix’s surprise visit. Only the good-natured Chérif
seems to enjoy himself. But over the following days, all three protagonists
will find small pleasures in their unfamiliar surroundings.

*All Hands on Deck* is a charming and refreshing buddy comedy with
unexpected characters that explores the diversity of France’s younger
generation. It is all set against the gorgeous backdrop of the south-east
of France.

*Available for rental: Saturday, June 26, 2021 @ Noon PDT → Tuesday, June
29 @ Noon PDTRENT & WATCH ALL HANDS ON DECK HERE
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/all-hands-on-deck/>.*

*MEET THE STAR!*We will host a Zoom Discussion of *ALL HANDS ON DECK* with
actor Salif Cissé, tomorrow Sunday, June 27 @ Noon PDT.
*Join Zoom Discussion: https://csus.zoom.us/j/89684441868
<https://csus.zoom.us/j/89684441868>**Questions about the discussion? Email
kelstob at csus.edu <kelstob at csus.edu>.*

NEW RELEASE TODAY
*•* AT THE CREST THEATRE *•*
Saturday, June 26 @ Noon PDT

[image: La Belle Equipe]
→ Watch a clip
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/movie2021_belle-equipe.htm#trailer>

At 3:00pm the SFFF will be at the CREST THEATRE for a special presentation
of one of France's most beloved classics, *THEY WERE FIVE
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/movie2021_belle-equipe.htm>* (1936)
@ 3:00pm, followed by an in-person discussion with film historian Chuck
Zigman & a glass of champagne!
*→ Purchase $12 Single Ticket here! *
<https://sac-french-film-festival.square.site/>Online Sales will close at
noon. Tickets will be available at the Crest. The Box Office will open at
2:30pm.

Five unemployed Parisian workers, Jean (Jean Gabin), Charles (Charles
Vanel), Raymond, nicknamed Tintin (Raymond Aimos), Jacques (Charles Dorat)
and Mario (Raphaël Médina), a foreigner threatened with deportation, win
the jackpot of the national lottery with a ticket purchased together. After
much discussion, Jean convinces his friends to pool the money and invest it
together.

Rowing up the river Marne, they discover an abandoned washhouse that they
decide to convert into a “guinguette” (a riverside restaurant and dance
hall), a place where workers like them can enjoy a relaxing Sunday.

*A little background: *In May 1936 a left-wing coalition, le Front
Populaire (Popular Front) formed a government that implemented a series of
popular social reforms, including paid vacation. Julien Duvivier's original
pessimistic ending of *They Were Five* was deemed too negative by the film
producers, who asked Duvivier to reshoot a happy ending more in tune with
the ideals of the time. *They Were Five* was presented in its happy version
for more than 70 years, until the original ending was restored and became
the definite version, in accordance with the director's will.

We will present both endings and discuss...

*DINNER & A MOVIE ?*

[image: Brasserie du monde]

Make it a night out and visit our partner* BRASSERIE DU MONDE*
<https://brasseriedumonde.com/> (ex Brasserie Capitale) after the screening
for a fully French experience!

ALSO AVAILABLE TO RENT TODAY
ON OUR STREAMING PLATFORM

[image: Rouge] [image: A son]
*Once you rent a film, you have 3 days to start watching it.*

• The gripping ecological thriller *RED SOIL*
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/red-soil/> by Farid
Bentoumi is available for rental: Thursday, June 24, 2021 @ Noon PDT →
Sunday, June 27 @ Noon PDT
*RENT & WATCH RED SOIL HERE
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/red-soil/>*

• The captivating family drama from Tunisia* A SON*
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/a-son/> by Mehdi
Barsaoui is
Available for rental: Friday, June 25, 2021 @ Noon PDT → Monday, June 28 @
Noon PDT
*RENT & WATCH A SON HERE
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/a-son/>*.

ZOOM DISCUSSION
Saturday, June 26 @ Noon PDT

[image: Bentoumi]

*MEET THE DIRECTOR!We will host a Transtalantic Zoom DiscussionFarid
Bentoumi, Director of RED SOIL
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/red-soil/>today,
Saturday, June 26 at Noon PDT!*

*Join Zoom Discussion:https://csus.zoom.us/j/89746997652
<https://csus.zoom.us/j/89746997652>* <https://csus.zoom.us/j/89746997652>

*Questions about the discussion? Email kelstob at csus.edu <kelstob at csus.edu>.*

*• • • *COMING UP TOMORROW* •** • **•*
SUNDAY, JUNE 27

[image: Les Apparences]
→ Watch Trailer
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/appearances/?autoplay>

The last film to be released on our platform, *Appearances*, is an elegant
comedy of manners that turns into poisonous thriller, set into the
bourgeois community of French expatriates in Vienna. A guilty pleasure!

*Appearances is available for rental: Sunday, June 27, 2021 @ Noon PDT →
Wednesday, June 30 @ Noon PDT*
*RENT & WATCH APPEARANCES HERE
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/appearances/>.*

We will host a Zoom Discussion of *APPEARANCES* with le Professeur Kevin
Elstob on Monday, June 28 @ 6:30pm.
If you purchase the film or the Virtual Festival Pass, you will receive the
Zoom invitations. *Questions about the discussion? Email kelstob at csus.edu
<kelstob at csus.edu>.*

ZOOM DISCUSSION
SUNDAY, JUNE 27

[image: Salif Cisse]

*MEET THE STAR!We will host a Zoom Discussion of ALL HANDS ON DECK
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/all-hands-on-deck/>with
actor Salif Cissé, tomorrow Sunday, June 27 @ Noon PDT.*

*Join Zoom Discussion: https://csus.zoom.us/j/89684441868
<https://csus.zoom.us/j/89684441868>*
*Questions about the discussion? Email kelstob at csus.edu <kelstob at csus.edu>.*

USEFUL LINKS TO HELP YOU PLAN YOUR FESTIVAL EXPERIENCE!

*•* *ACCESS OUR VIRTUAL PLATFORM*
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/>→ Download/Print the
UPDATED 2021 Calendar of Virtual Releases
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021calendar-of-virtual-releases-updated.pdf>
→ Download/Print the Suggested Feature /Short Pairing
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021Feature-shorts-suggested-pairing.pdf>

*• ACCESS OUR IN-THEATER PROGRAM
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/program2021_in-theater.htm>*→
Download/Print
the 2021 In-Theatre Film Program
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021-in-theatre-program.pdf>
*•* Download/Print the UPDATED 2021 Complete Film Program
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021-complete-program_updated.pdf>

*•* Download/Print the UPDATED 2021 Calendar of Zoom Discussions
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021calendar-of-zoom-discussions_UPDATED.pdf>

*2021 VIRTUAL STORE*

[image: hoodies] [image: women] [image: men][image: bags]

*VIRTUAL POP UP STORE
<https://garagechamps.printavo.com/merch/20thSacramentoFrenchFilmFestival> for
shirts, bags & hoodies!*As we did last year, we have partnered with Garage
Champs, a local Sacramento printing company to provide the 20th Sacramento
French Film Festival collector t-shirts, tote bags, and NEW this year,
hoodies, designed by Dane Henas Design. Your purchase supports the
Sacramento French Film Festival.

Our Web Store will remain open until Wednesday, July 07 at 11:59pm PDT.
Orders are produced at the end of the three-week sales period and shipped
out the following week directly to you. As always thank you for your love
and support. *Visit the Store!
<https://garagechamps.printavo.com/merch/20thSacramentoFrenchFilmFestival>*

[image: poster]
Artwork by Jermaine Deandre Tilson / Design by Dane Henas Design

*POSTER STORE <https://sac-french-film-festival.square.site/>*
We will be selling our fabulous 20th anniversary poster at the Crest
Theatre on Saturday, June 26.
If you can't join us in-person, *VISIT OUR SQUARE STORE TO ORDER A POSTER!*
<https://sac-french-film-festival.square.site/>

FOLLOW US  <https://youtu.be/ZpiZALzffow>

20th SACRAMENTO
VIRTUALLY & IN THEATERS
SacramentoFrenchFilmFestival.org <https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/>

--
Cécile Mouette Downs,
Chevalier de l'ordre des Arts et Lettres