[FrenchFilmNews] 20th SFFF: Day 3, Sunday, June 20 • @ Noon PDT, Zoom Discussion with director Hélier Cisterne + New Virtual Release: sophisticated thriller APPEARANCES + 2 films in-theatre: animated war drama, JOSEP @ 3:00pm & dark comedy BYE BYE MORONS @ 5:00pm

Cécile Downs littlececile at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 05:38:15 PDT 2021

[image: SFFF 20]

Virtual.SacramentoFrenchFilmFestival.org
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/>

LE JOURNAL DU
20th SACRAMENTO FRENCH FILM FESTIVAL

DAY 3 *•* SUNDAY, JUNE 20

\[image: a]
Appearances by Marc Fitoussi

*HAPPY FATHER'S DAY !*
A lot is happening today at the 20th Sacramento French Film Festival,
including our return to theaters after more than one year of strictly
virtual events!

*• At 12:00 am PDT*, meet director *HELIER CISTERNE*, on a transatlantic
discussion of his powerful war drama and love story, *FAITHFUL
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/faithful/>* (available
till Tuesday, June 22 @ Noon PDT).
*Invitation Link to join: https://csus.zoom.us/j/81985920217
<https://csus.zoom.us/j/81985920217>*

*• Starting at Noon PDT*, you can watch the third film to be released on
our platform, *APPEARANCES
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/appearances/>*, an
elegant comedy of manners that turns into a poisonous thriller, set into
the bourgeois community of French expatriates in Vienna. A guilty pleasure!
Director Hélier Cisterne will join us on a Zoom Discussion tomorrow,
Sunday, June 20, at Noon PDT (*more details below*).

*• Join us in-person at the Esquire IMAX Theatre* for our "2021 César
Celebration": @ 3:00pm *JOSEP
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/movie2021_Josep.htm>*, César
winner for Best Animated Feature & @ 5:00pm *BYE BYE MORONS
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/movie2021_adieu-les-cons.htm>*,
César winner for Best Film & Best Director - in its U.S. Premiere!

*• POSTERS*: We will be selling our fabulous 20th anniversary poster at the
Esquire IMAX Theatre, if you can't join us in-person, you can *visit our
Square Store to order a poster!*
<https://sac-french-film-festival.square.site/>

[image: Adieu les cons]
Bye Bye Morons by Albert Dupontel

RELEASE OF THE DAY
Sunday, June 20 @ Noon PDT

APPEARANCES
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/appearances/>
Marc Fitoussi

[image: Les Apparences]
→Watch the Trailer
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/appearances/?autoplay>

Ève (Karin Viard, *The Chef’s Wife* — SFFF 2015) and Henri (singer Benjamin
Biolay) are a couple living in privilege, part of the well-to-do French
community in Vienna. They are “la crème de la crème,” he a famous
conductor, she the head of the French Institute. They are handsome,
elegant, they organize the best parties, and live a seemingly flawless life
in their expatriate bubble.

But the perfect picture crumbles when Ève discovers that Henri is cheating
on her with their son’s young teacher (Laetitia Dosch). On an impulse, she
finds revenge with Jonas, a young man she meets in a bar. But when Jonas
turns out to be a stalker, the comedy of manners veers into a poisonous
thriller reminiscent of Alfred Hitchcock and Claude Chabrol.

Karin Viard is impeccable as a scorned woman desperate not to lose face,
ready to do anything to keep her prestigious husband and maintain
appearances. Benjamin Biolay is ambiguous at will as the unfaithful and
aloof husband. A guilty pleasure!

*Appearances is available for rental: Sunday, June 20, 2021 @ Noon PDT →
Wednesday, June 23 @ Noon PDT*
*RENT & WATCH APPEARANCES HERE
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/appearances/>.*

*Join Le Professeur Kevin Elstob on a Zoom Discussion of Appearances on
Transatlantic Zoom Discussion on Tuesday, June 22 @ 6:30pm PDT.*
*If you purchase the film or the Virtual Festival Pass, you will receive
the Zoom invitation. Questions about the discussion? Email kelstob at csus.edu
<kelstob at csus.edu>.*

*ZOOM DISCUSSION OF THE DAYSunday, June 20 @ Noon PDT*

[image: cisterne]
Hélier Cisterne

*→ SUNDAY, JUNE 20 @ NOON PDT: MEET THE DIRECTOR*Hélier Cisterne, Director
of *Faithful* (available Saturday, June 19 @ Noon PDT *→* Tuesday, June 22
@ Noon PDT) will join us on a Zoom Discussion tomorrow, Sunday, June 20, at
Noon PDT.

*Join Zoom Meeting: https://csus.zoom.us/j/81985920217
<https://csus.zoom.us/j/81985920217>**Questions about the discussion? Email
kelstob at csus.edu <kelstob at csus.edu>*

IN-THEATRE SCREENINGS
*Sunday, June 20 @ 3:00pm & 5:00pm*

[image: Josep] [image: Adieu les Cons]

*On Sunday, June 20*, the SFFF invites you to a 2021 César (French Oscars)
Celebration with two of this year’s top César winners presented on the
giant screen of the Esquire IMAX Theatre. *Each film is shown ONLY ONCE and
won't be available for virtual viewing.*

*3:00pm: JOSEP
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/movie2021_Josep.htm>* by Aurel,
the stunning winner for Best Animated Feature. (→ Purchase here!
<https://www.tickmarq.com/sites/esquireimax/films/ST00000602>*)*
*Join our Transatlantic Discussion of Josep with Screenwriter Jean-Louis
Milesi on Friday, June 25 @ Noon PDT*

*5:00pm: BYE BYE MORONS
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/movie2021_adieu-les-cons.htm> (ADIEU
LES CONS)* by Albert Dupontel, the fantastic dark comedy that won Best Film
and Best Director in its US PREMIERE! (→ Purchase here!
<https://www.tickmarq.com/sites/esquireimax/films/ST00000604>*)*

STILL AVAILABLE ON OUR
STREAMING PLATFORM

[image: love affairs] [image: Faithful]

*• LOVE AFFAIR(S)
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/love-affair-s/> *by
Emmanuel Mouret:* Available for rental till Monday, June 21 @ Noon PDT:*

*• FAITHFUL
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/faithful/> *by
Helier Cisterne :* Available for rental till Tuesday, June 22 @ Noon PDT:*

*• *COMING UP TOMORROW* •*
MONDAY, JUNE 21

RELEASE OF THE DAY
MONDAY, JUNE 21

DE GAULLE <https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/de-gaulle/>
Gabriel Le Bomin

[image: de Gaulle]
→Watch the Trailer
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/de-gaulle/?autoplay>

This WWII drama follows General de Gaulle (Lambert Wilson) and his family,
in the weeks that preceded his decisive “Appel du 18 juin,” which paved the
way for a free France.

*De Gaulle *is far from a formatted biopic. It mixes the portrait of an
outstanding public man who changed the course of World War II and French
history, with that of a private man, loving husband, and father. We
discover an extraordinary couple who, by facing private and public
hardships, found the strength and will to stand up.

*De Gaulle
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/de-gaulle/> is
available for rental: Monday, June 21, 2021 @ Noon PDT → Thursday, June 24
@ Noon PDT*
*RENT & WATCH DE GAULLE HERE
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/film/appearances/>.*

*Join Le Professeur Kevin Elstob on a Zoom Discussion of de Gaulle, on
Tuesday, June 22 @ 6:30pm PDT.*
*If you purchase the film or the Virtual Festival Pass, you will receive
the Zoom invitation. Questions about the discussion? Email kelstob at csus.edu
<kelstob at csus.edu>.*

ZOOM DISCUSSION
MONDAY, JUNE 21

*Join Le Professeur Kevin Elstob on a Zoom Discussion of Bye Bye Morons
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/movie2021_adieu-les-cons.htm> on
Monday, June 21 @ 6:30pm PDT*

Join Zoom Meeting: https://csus.zoom.us/j/84986323794

*Questions about the discussion? Email kelstob at csus.edu <kelstob at csus.edu>.*

USEFUL LINKS TO HELP YOU PLAN YOUR FESTIVAL EXPERIENCE!

*•* *ACCESS OUR VIRTUAL PLATFORM*
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/>→ Download/Print the
2021 Calendar of Virtual Releases
<https://virtual.sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/>

*• ACCESS OUR IN-THEATER PROGRAM
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021calendar-of-zoom-discussions.pdf>*
→ Download/Print the 2021 In-Theatre Film Program
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021-in-theatre-program.pdf>

*•* Download/Print the 2021 Calendar of Zoom Discussions
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021calendar-of-zoom-discussions_UPDATED.pdf>
*•* Download/Print the 2021 Complete Film Program
<https://sacramentofrenchfilmfestival.org/2021complete-program.pdf>

*2021 VIRTUAL POP UP STORE*

[image: hoodies] [image: women] [image: men][image: bags]

*Our Virtual Pop Up Store
<https://garagechamps.printavo.com/merch/20thSacramentoFrenchFilmFestival> is
now open!*

As we did last year, we have partnered with Garage Champs, a local
Sacramento printing company to provide the 20th Sacramento French Film
Festival collector t-shirts, tote bags, and NEW this year, hoodies,
designed by Dane Henas Design. Your purchase supports the Sacramento French
Film Festival.

Our Web Store will remain open until Wednesday, July 07 at 11:59pm PDT.
Orders are produced at the end of the three-week sales period and shipped
out the following week directly to you. As always thank you for your love
and support. *Visit the Store!
<https://garagechamps.printavo.com/merch/20thSacramentoFrenchFilmFestival>*

*POSTERS*
We will be selling our fabulous 20th anniversary poster at the Esquire IMAX
& Crest Theatres, if you can't join us in-persom, you can *visit our Square
Store to order a poster!* <https://sac-french-film-festival.square.site/>

FOLLOW US  <https://youtu.be/ZpiZALzffow>

20th SACRAMENTO
VIRTUALLY & IN THEATERS